Writing - A New Project

The other day I picked up a book entitled Writer to Writer: From Think to Ink by Gail Carson Levine, author of Ella Enchanted.

I enjoy reading immensely, and have for almost as long as I can remember. There was a period in high school when I didn't read as much, but I have always been (and I hope I always will be) a reader.

Writing has also been something that has interested me over the years. I have occasionally entertained thoughts of becoming an author, but writing is not easy. Writing a novel? When you don't really know what you're doing, it's incredibly difficult. And because I've often had friends who were much more interested in and enthused with writing than I, myself... I have tended to let writing be something that other people do.

I would, however, like this to possibly change. I believe that everyone should at least try to write a book in their lifetime - whether it is an autobiography, a novel, or a collection of poems or short stories... It doesn't need to be published or even ever be seen by eyes other than your own, but we should all try. :)

I'm doing a really big reading challenge this month, so I probably won't read too much of this book for a while, but I did read the first chapter the other night, and there were a few challenges put forward that I would like to take a stab at. I will list them here in my own words for future reference:


  • Think of an object in your house. Imagine a whole history for it, and write it as a story.
  • Pick a different object, move it to a completely new location (think outside the box), and write about how it got there/got discovered/re-discovered etc.
  • Give one of the objects magical properties. Write about how it became magical, what it can do, etc. Create characters and describe what they need it for.

That's all for now. Over the next few months, as I have some spare moments, I will try to work on these prompts and post them here on the blog. Much as I do like to write on paper, I find that I can type faster than I can write, which can be useful when your mind is on a roll. :)

Until next time. Happy reading and writing!

Comments

Popular Posts